Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What paint do I need to paint my shower that has plastic walls?

I want to paint my stand up shower. It has plastic walls and looks terrible. Spring break is coming up and I wanted to give myself a project. Is there a good paint I could buy to paint my shower? It would need to be for plastic, and also waterproof? Any ideas?What paint do I need to paint my shower that has plastic walls?
There is a paint product made for plastic. It is called ';Fusion';, It is sold at walmart, and comes in numerous colors. It is available in pint, quart, and airesol spray cans. You may have to do a through cleaning of the walls of the shower before painting them. Soap residue can prevent the paint from sticking. You will most likely have to lightly sand the service of the walls, to provide a gripping surface for the paint to stick to. I'd recommend the cleaning, then a hand sanding with 220 grit paper, then wash the entire service with a product called ';liquid sandpaper';. Use caution, the liquid sandpaper is volital and should not be allowed to go down the drain. Just dampen your wiping rags with just enough of the product to wet the surfaces, then either wipe the excessive with a dry rag, or allow to air dry. Following the directions on both the liquid sandpaper, and the paint product. you should be able to get the results you want.What paint do I need to paint my shower that has plastic walls?
for my house we used this product called fusion and we purchaced it at the home depot
Yes, I think it is called emulsion paint. I did this once not on plastic walls but plastic tiles from the 1950's so it should work the same. You will need to go to a professional paint store like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore though and ask questions. When I bought mine I had to mix a quart of this stuff into a gallon of paint and I don't remember exactly what it's called so make sure you let them know what you want to do. Good luck.
There is a product made by Klenks that is a bathroom shower paint kit.





They make a kit for porcelain and kit for fiberglass bathroom surrounds.





The kit has everything you need: An epoxy-based white finish paint, brush, roller, tray, cleaner, gloves, stir stick.





The retail price on this is around $40 dollars, which isn't bad considering it has everything you need in the kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment