Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I want to paint my Kawasaki Ninja. How do i prepare the plastic body for painting?

I have a purple ninja 500. I have some downtime during the winter and i want to paint my bike black, and have a simple yellow design on the tank. I have the basics on painting the tank. But I have no idea how to prep the plastic body.I want to paint my Kawasaki Ninja. How do i prepare the plastic body for painting?
Like Jancie said, Krylon makes a spray paint called Fusion that is just for painting plastics. It guarantees it will bond to all types of plastic and fiberglass. It is sold in all Walmart, Kmart, home improvement centers etc. About $3.50/can and comes in a good variety of basic colors. I just painted my Suzuki with it and it looks great but a word of advice. Make sure you paint in atleast 73 degrees weather or higher other wise the paint will cloud up making your paint job look like a flat black instead of glossy and shinny. Oh yeah no clear needed with Krylon. The more coats the shinyer it gets. I just did mine a week ago and im actually liking it.I want to paint my Kawasaki Ninja. How do i prepare the plastic body for painting?
For what it is worth, Krylon makes a spray paint called Fusion that is just for painting plastics. It guarantees it will bond to all types of plastic and fiberglass. It is sold in all Walmart, Kmart, home improvement centers etc. About $4.50/can and comes in a good variety of basic colors.





I myself have not tried it. I have only used convenional spray paint once the sanding and priming was done, but heck it could save the priming part.
sand off all the lacquer (new paint wont stick to it,


its not necessary to sand all the way back to plastic,


if you do hit the bare plastic any where then you have to use primer as well, the normal gloss paint does some crazy stuff when it hits bare plastic,


really you should do a good couple of thin layers of primer anyway..





when it comes to spray painting, preparation is everything
primer and sanding oh and take the plastics off the bike please. You dont know how many times i see people screw up a nice bike by painting things still on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment