Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can you add clear paint to plastic motorcycle body parts to make them shiny?

Hopefully a paint and body expert can help me out. I'm thinking of buying a new 09 Buell 1125R motorcycle in black. On Buell motorcycles the body parts are molded plastic pieces almost like a quad or dirtbike. They scratch easily and don't shine like a red Ducati! Is there a way to put a coat of clear over these panels for a shiny look as well as protection from scratches? Maybe a paint that works with flexible parts? Thanks for your response.





DuncanCan you add clear paint to plastic motorcycle body parts to make them shiny?
Yes, you need to use a urethane based clear coat. A lacquer or enamel base will crack when the parts flex. I'll give you a quick way to make it shine on the cheap: Armor All or Pledge. Careful with the pledge, once you start with it you need to use it regularly to renew shine because it builds up and dulls over time.Can you add clear paint to plastic motorcycle body parts to make them shiny?
Can I do it? Yeah I *could* but I don't have my spray booth any more and the compressor is gone too. I think I'll have to pass on this job.
do it dude it wont hurt it
  • music myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment