Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is it easier to paint plastic models if you soak the plastic in soap water first?

I think I heard somewhere that if you soak the models before you start the paint goes on easier. Im building an F-14 Tomcat and I want this to look perfect!Is it easier to paint plastic models if you soak the plastic in soap water first?
that's ok but


i first dip the painting brush in water and then paint the model with water


................... after that i paint it with either water colours or poster colours


if i want to paste some pictures then i paste them


at last


i give it a final touch :


mix white glue with water so that they are like a liquid(but it should'nt be too much thin)


after that i have a coat of this to all my project to make it life longIs it easier to paint plastic models if you soak the plastic in soap water first?
I am currently working on a plastic Jolly Roger and have established quite a collection of cars as well as minis. Not only have I never done this, I've never heard of it and I will say as modestly as I can that pretty much everything has come out fantastically. I am not certain that putting the plastic pieces in soapy water would be good for them. That does not mean that your idea would or would not help, I'm just saying that you don't necessarily need it to have your paint come out looking awesome.





On a side note, I prime everything first, big stuff with spray paint. To give it an undercoat and make the paint come out with a nice even rich tone.





Good luck.
You may not need to soak the kit in soapy water but you do want to give it a good a cleaning with soap and water. When a kit is manufactured there is a model release agent used to help release the plastic from the mold. The release agent leaves a film on the plastic that can interfear with painting. When I build models I don't always clean them first and I've been pretty happy with the out come of the paint, but I know a lot of modelers who swear by cleaning then first.





Why don't you check out www.finescale.com and maybe consider joining the forums. They have over 35,000 members who will be able to help you with any other questions you have.





Good luck with the F-14, that's my favorite fighter of all-time was sad to see it grounded for good this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment