Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What is the best way to paint plastic coated cable?

I have a lot of white ethernet cable and I'm looking to cut then up and be able to distinguish each cable from each other by painting them. Each cable needs to be a solid painted colour (I can't just paint a tiny area).





I was therefore looking for someone to recommend me a type of paint that will stay on it's plastic sleeving (and that hopefully could be picked up from B%26amp;Q or something). I was thinking maybe car spray paint?





Thanks in advance.What is the best way to paint plastic coated cable?
There is a spray paint called krylon fusion, it works well and comes in many colors. I bought some at the local building supply store, Lowe's and home depot have it, I don't know your location but if you're not near one of those you can order it from the internet:) Good idea by the way!What is the best way to paint plastic coated cable?
I have used numbers that can be purchased at Home Depot for numbering cables. They come in a pad and are made to be wrapped around the cables. I suggest that you get a Sharpie fine point permanent marker and write on the cable a number or a remote location identification.


Paint will probably flake off when the cables are moved and you do not want paint flakes into equipment or connections.


I am not sure why you want to paint the entire cable, a small patch of identification is probably all that you need.
Instead of painting it, buy rolls of different colored plastic electrical tape, about 1/2 inch wide, and wrap a small piece around the insulation at each end of the cable. For long runs, you can put some in-between also.
.... You can buy a paint for plastics pending on how many cables your painting....might get expensive.....there is a tape used by electricians numbered or lettered that might be cheaper and less mesy

No comments:

Post a Comment