Thursday, February 18, 2010

What kind of Paint for Plastic motorcycle farings?

Hi I have a Honda 1985 Elite 150 Scooter, I need to repaint the plastic farings red. What kind of paint do I use, and where can I easily get it? One of my friends said get vinyl paint and primer from pepboys and use that. Would that work?


thanks


kenWhat kind of Paint for Plastic motorcycle farings?
Any quality automotive paint will work. But if you are going to use the spray can method most of the paints at any auto parts or hardware store will work. I've Krylon and Rustoleum for thermoset (hard) plastic parts primer with no problems. When applying the color coat it will be very difficult to get a factory like finish using spray cans. Also spray can paints take a very loooooooong time to dry hard. The primers can be wet sanded within an hour or two (on a hot day) but the color coat is another matter. The instructions might say overnight for complete drying. But the paint won't actually be dry and hard enough for assembly for about 2 weeks.What kind of Paint for Plastic motorcycle farings?
You can use regular automotive paint as long as you add a flex agent to make the paint flexible. Vinyl paint/dye works fine and is very flexible, but tends to not be very glossy. I buy all my stuff at Carquest.

No comments:

Post a Comment