Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is there a spray paint for plastic that is non toxic to fish?

I want to spray paint my black plastic fish pond a lighter color. Is there a spray paint that will adhere to plastic and is non toxic to my fish and turtles? If I have to roll or brush on the paint, which can I use on plastic and is non toxic?Is there a spray paint for plastic that is non toxic to fish?
Check out Krylon Fusion it does come in a spray paint however you may need to check out their website and send an email to check whether it will be ok to use in your pond. Is there a spray paint for plastic that is non toxic to fish?
I would think that latex based paint should be safe, however you would probably need to to let it cure for a few weeks before exposing it to fish, just to make sure that any chemicals do not get released in the water. However, this is merely an educated guess. I would definitely do some more research before starting this project. Good luck.
yes there is a special kind of marine paint that we they use on boats, and it works well on plastic and fiberglass, if you paint it yourself you just need to use a scotch brite pad and scuff up the peice all over so the paint will stick to it.. i know this because my friend paints cars and boats..


also let it cure in the sun for 2 weeks before adding your fish.
I have read numerous times that if it hasn't been made specifically for use in a tank or pond that have fish don't risk putting it in there. I think the same rule would apply to painting the pond. Paint is a quite harsh chemical %26amp; it may poison the fishies, even if cured. I don't know.
no sorry, not that I know of, but you could try googling it. Maybe there is a ';green'; way to do it. Definitely don't try it unless you know for sure though.

No comments:

Post a Comment